New courses are being developed for students in grades 9 and 10, as part of the Strategic Plan’s Empathy & Balance initiatives. The Foundations course for 9th graders is currently being piloted in 2016–2017, and the 10th grade Endeavors course will be added in 2017–2018, replacing the PACE course. The Academic Council and E&B Program Committee have been considering the best schedule for Foundations and Endeavors in 2017-2018 and have developed several different options.
While all options have pros and cons, the option with the most overall support from the Academic Council and E&B Program group is the creation of “Friday Frees” for meetings of the 9th grade Foundations sections. The Endeavors classes will meet during the English 200 “red dot periods” since that course will continue using the 75-minute period each week.
Details of the Friday Frees include:
- ONE period on Friday will be cleared for ALL grades during 7 weeks each term.
- ALL students will have fewer class preparations on 7 Fridays each term.
- Each period 1–7 will miss one meeting each term.
- Foundations classes will meet during the “Friday Free” periods.
- 9th graders will have continuity of their Foundations group all year.
- Prefects and day student mentors may be invited to assist with the Foundations course.*
For more information on the range of options considered to date, please email email@example.com.
All faculty members received a ballot on Thursday, February 23. Voting results are currently being tallied, and the results will be reported in the next issue of the Gazette. The hope is to reach a final decision before the end of the winter term as to the timing of these courses for the 2017–2018 academic year.